by William Sansom, 1958
Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
I. Manuscript and Archival
II. Books and Published
III. Reference and Other Materials
IV. Online Resources at Furman
V. Web Sites
- Robert Tucker Collection: brochures, travel guides, maps, postcards, photographs, and slides from Dr. Robert Tucker's 1975 and 1980 travels throughout Scandinavia.
- John L. Plyler, Jr. Postcard Collection: postcards from Sweden, Norway, and Iceland.
- World Coin Collection: a coin minted by the Finnish government in 1935.
- Northern travel: summer and winter pictures of Sweden, Denmark, and Lapland, Bayard Taylor, 1858
- Egypt and Iceland in the year 1874, Bayard Taylor, 1883
- Norway , Sigvart Sörensen, 1899
- The British Isles and the Baltic states; England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Irish Free State, Germany, Poland, Latvia, Russia, Esthonia, and Finland, Frank G. Carpenter, 1926
- A Scandinavian summer: Impressions of five months in Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Iceland, Harry A. Franck, ca. 1930
- Scandinavia Beckons, Amy Oakley, 1938
- Travels in the north: exemplified by the author's own drawings, Karel Capek, translated by M & R. Weatherall, 1940
- Baptist work in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden, 1947
- The Icicle and the Sun: Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, William Sansom, 1958
- Norge i nord = Norway's north country = La Norvege die nord, tekst, Kare Kleivan; English translation by Richard W. Badger, traduction francaise par Harold Bragstad; foto, H.A. Amundson [et al.], ca. 1960s
- The Viking circle: Denmark, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Colin Simpson, 1968
- Northern Arcadia: Foreign Travelers in Scandinavia, 1765-1815, H. Arnold Barton, 1998
- Northbound: Travels, Encounters, and Constructions 1700-1830, ed. Karen Klitgaard Povlsen, 2007
- Ohthere's voyages: a late 9th-century account of voyages along the coasts of Norway and Denmark and its cultural context, edited by Janet Bately & Anton Englert, 2007, General Collection
- Letters written during a short residence in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, Mary Wollstonecraft, Microform
- The works of Mary Wollstonecraft, Mary Wollstonecraft (1759-1797), edited by Janet Todd & Marilyn Butler ; assistant editor Emma Rees-Mogg, 1989, General Collection
- Norwegian fjords, by A. Heaton Cooper, 1914(?), General Collection
- Finland and its people, Robert Medill McBride, 1925, General Collection
- Sweden, model for a world, Hudson Strode, 1949, General Collection
- Denmark is a lovely land, Hudson Strode, 1951, General Collection
- Scandinavia: Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland, Doré Ogrizek, translated by Paddy O'Hanlon and H. Iredale Nelson, 1952, General Collection
- Land under the Pole Star; a voyage to the Norse settlements of Greenland and the saga of the people that vanished, Helge Ingstad, translated from the Norwegian by Naomi Walford, 1966, General Collection
- Scandinavia, Brian Fullerton and Alan F. Williams, 1972, General Collection
- When you travel in Iceland you see a lot of water: ein Reisebuch = A travel book, Roman Signer, Tumi Magnússon; herausgegeben von/edited by Barbara Signer & Michael Bodenmann, 2010, General Collection
- Dictionary of Scandinavian history, edited by Byron J. Nordstrom, 1986, Reference Collection
- Medieval Scandinavia : an encyclopedia, Phillip Pulsiano, editor; Kirsten Wolf, co-editor; Paul Acker, associate editor, Donald K. Fry, associate editor; advisers, Knut Helle ... [et al.], 1993, Reference Collection
- Portrait of the regions, 1993, Reference Collection
- Scandinavia profiled : essential facts on society, business, and politics in Scandinavia, edited by Barry Turner, 2000, Reference Collection
- Countries and their cultures, Melvin Ember and Carol R. Ember, editors, 2001, Reference Collection
- Slavery and society in medieval Scandinavia, Ruth Mazo Karras, 1988, Electronic Resource
- Cambridge Histories Online, Online resource
- British Periodicals, Online resource
- Times of London, Online resource
- International Medieval Bibliography, Online resource
- Early English Books Online (EEBO), Online resource
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online, Online resource
- Encyclopedia of Religion, Online resource
- Women's Studies International, Online resource
- Iceland: Land of Fire and Ice, 2012 Furman May X course blog from an Earth and Environmental Science study abroad trip.
- A summer in northern lands: the journal of a trip to Scandinavia, by Charles William Hamilton, 1922. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- Norsk, Lapp, and Finn: or, Travel tracings from the far north of Europe, by Frank Vincent, 1890. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- The land of the midnight sun: summer and winter journeys through Sweden, Norway, Lapland and northern Finland, by Paul Belloni du Chaillu, 1882. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- The Norse Folk: Or, A Visit to the Homes of Norway and Sweden, by Charles Loring Brace, 1857. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- A journey to Iceland and travels in Sweden and Norway, by Ida Pfeiffer, translated by Charlotte Fenimore Cooper, 1845. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- Visit to northern Europe: or, Sketches descriptive, historical, political and moral, of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland..., by Robert Baird, 1842. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- A personal narrative of a journey through Norway, part of Sweden, and the islands and states of Denmark, by Henry David Inglis, 1835. Free, full-text digitized work of 19th century travel literature from Google Books.
- The National Archives of Norway, online exhibition page, with resources on various objects and manuscripts related to Norwegian history and culture.
- The New York Times Travel Guides: Denmark, compilation page of contemporary articles on travel in Denmark.
- The New York Times Travel Guides: Finland, compilation page of contemporary articles on travel in Finland.
- The New York Times Travel Guides: Iceland, compilation page of contemporary articles on travel in Iceland.
- The New York Times Travel Guides: Norway, compilation page of contemporary articles on travel in Norway.
- The New York Times Travel Guides: Sweden, compilation page of contemporary articles on travel in Sweden.
- Scandinavia House, the Nordic Center in America, a Scandinavian culture center, gallery, and library in New York City.