From the World Coin Collection
Click image to enlarge
Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
I. Manuscript and Archival
II. Books and Published
III. Materials Covering Multiple Categories
VI. Online Resources at Furman
VII. Web Sites
- John L. Plyler Postcard Collection: contains 6 postcards from Mexico.
- Diane Hopkins-Hughs Collection: contains National Geographic magazines from 1964 through 1980 describing various aspects of Mexican politics, cultures, and geography.
- Robert Tucker Collection: slides, maps, postcards, and a handwritten travelogue from Robert Tucker's 1983 travels throughout the Mayan Yucatan.
- Extracts from a Journal, written on the Coasts of Chili, Peru, and Mexico, in the Years 1820, 1821, 1822, Basil Hall, 1825
- Hall’s Voyages, Basil Hall, 1826-1827
- Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan, John Stephens, 1841
- Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, John Stephens, 1843
- Recollections of Mexico, Waddy Thompson, 1846
- Scott’s Campaign in Mexico, Judge Moore, 1849
- Eldorado, or, Adventures in the Path of Empire: comprising a Voyage to California via Panama, Life in San Francisco and Monterey, Pictures of the Gold Region, and experiences of Mexican Travel, 1850
- The History of the Discovery and Settlement of America, William Robertson, 1855
- Mexico and Life of the Conqueror Fernando Cortes, 2 volumes, from the Nations of the World multi-volume set, William H. Prescott, 1898
- Selected Letters of Anna Heyward Taylor, South Carolina Artist and World Traveler, by Edmund R. Taylor and Alexander Moore: Anna Heyward Taylor (1879–1956) traveled extensively during her lifetime, studying art in Europe and exploring the art and cultures of British Guiana (Guyana), Mexico, the Virgin Islands, and Japan. She moved to Charleston in 1929, where she became a significant contributor to the Charleston Renaissance through her watercolors and wood block prints.
- Audubon’s Western Journal: 1849-1850, John Audubon, 1906
- Guía de la ciudad de México y demás municipalidades del Distrito Federal, con los datos más recientes de su régimen político como asiento de los supremas poderes de la federación; con una breve reseña de sus instituciones establecimientos y otros asuntos de interés, por José Romero, 1910
- Thirty Years in Mexico, James Christian, 1927
- The True HIstory of the Conquest of Mexico, 2 volumes, Captain Bernal Diaz Del Castillo, published 1927, originally written 1568
- What’s Next Pizarro? Discovering Mexico, Central and South America by Volkswagen, Raymond Dyches, 1968
- A Century of Baptist Work in Mexico, Frank Patterson, 1979
- Historic Textbook Collections, 19th century and 20th century
- Nineteenth-Century Travels, Explorations and Empires: Writings from the Era of Imperial Consolidation, 1835-1910, Vol. 2 North America , Edited Susan Schoenbauer, 2003
- Literature of travel and exploration: an Encyclopedia, Jennifer Speake, editor, bibliographies and historiographies
- The Norton book of travel, editor Paul Fussell, 1987 travel writing of notable authors
- Return passages: great American travel writing, 1780-1910 Larzer Ziff
- The Mind of the Traveler : From Gilgamesh to global tourism, Eric J. Leed
- Women Adventurers, 1750-1900: A Biographical Dictionary Mary F. McVicker, 2008
- The Working Christian/The Baptist Courier 1869 to present
- World Coin Collection, four (4) Mexican coins from 1826, 1866, 1895, and 1941
- Robert Tucker Coin Collection, three (3) Mexican pesos from 1981, 1982, and 1983
- 20th Century Mexican doll, Past Perfect ID: 09.05.007
- Great Women Travel Writers: from 1750 to the present, editor Alba Amoia and Bettina L. Knapp, 2005, General Collection
- Encyclopedia of Exploration, 4 volumes, 4th volume 1850-1940, editor John Raymond Howgego, 2003-2008, Reference Collection
- Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing, editor, Kelly Boyd, Reference Collection
- Mexico: an encyclopedia of contemporary culture and history, Don M. Coerver, Suzanne B. Pasztor, and Robert M. Buffington, Reference Collection
- Archaeology of Ancient Mexico and Central American: an encyclopedia, Susan Toby Evans, David L. Web, Reference Collection
- Milenios de México, Humberto Musacchio, Reference Collection
- Encyclopedia of Mexico: history, society & culture, editor, Michael S. Werner, Reference Collection
- Hispanic culture of Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, edited by Peter Standish, Reference Collection
- On the loose in Mexico, written by Berkeley students in cooperation with the Associated Students of the University of California, Reference Collection
- The Oxford encyclopedia of Mesoamerican cultures: the civilizations of Mexico and Central America, Davíd Carrasco, editor in chief, Reference Collection
- Latin American scholarship since World War II; trends in history, political science, literature, geography, and economics, edited by Roberto Esquenazi-Mayo and Michael C. Meyer, Reference Collection
- Historical dictionary of ancient Mesoamerica, Joel W. Palka, Reference Collection
- Mexico A-Z: an encyclopedic dictionary of Mexico, by George E. Nelson and Mary B. Nelson, Reference Collection
- Robert Jackson Alexander papers: the interview collection, 1947-1994, microfilm, General Collection
Online guide to the collection, http://www2.scc.rutgers.edu/ead/manuscripts/alexanderf.html
- The mapping of North America : a list of printed maps Philip D. Burden, Reference Collection
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture, Online resource
- US History in Context, Online resource
- World History in Context, Online resource
- Oxford Scholarship Online, Online resource
- Europa World Plus, Online resource
- Encyclopedia of Religion, Online resource
- Gender Studies Database, Online resource
- Women's Studies International, Online resource
- Early English Books Online (EEBO), Online resource
- American Periodicals, Online resource
- British Periodicals, Online resource
- Times of London, Online resource
- Coleccion Cisneros, includes Colonial Latin American art, international decorative arts, and a selection of Latin American landscapes from the seventeenth to the early twentieth century, executed by both local artists and those who traveled to the continent from North America and Europe.
- American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920
- The Guardian, contemporary travel writing in Mexico by the British newspaper The Guardian's website.
- The Strachwitz Frontera Collection of Mexican and Mexican American Recordings, from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Center for Southwest Research, "specializes in interdisciplinary subjects relating to New Mexico, the Southwestern U.S., Mexico and Latin America, as well as rare materials from around the world."
- Latin American Travelogues, a "digital collection of Latin American travel accounts written in the 16th-19th centuries" from the Brown University Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
- Early American Images, online collection of images from early South and North America hosted by the Brown University library.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, Colonial Latin America, internet compilation page of resources on colonial Latin American History.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, 19th century Latin America, internet compilation page of resources on 19th century Latin American history.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, 20th century Latin America, internet compilation page of resources on 20th century Latin American history.