Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
I. Manuscript and Archival
II. Books and Published
III. Materials Covering Multiple Categories
V. Online Resources at Furman
VI. Web Sites
- Marjorie Barr O'Steen Family Collection: from June to July of 1959 O'Steen took a trip to Europe where she visited England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Switzerland, Italy, and France. The collection contains correspondence and memorabilia from those travels.
- Diane Hopkins-Hughs Collection: contains National Geographic magazines from 1961 through 1985 describing various aspects of Italian politics, culture, and geography.
- John L. Plyler Postcard Collection: contains postcards from Rome, Florence, Venice, Capri, the Vatican, and various other locations within Italy.
- Travels during the years 1787, 1788, and 1789: undertaken more particularly with a view of ascertaining the cultivation, wealth, resources, and national prosperity of the kingdom of France, Arthur Young (1741-1820), printed in 1792
- A classical tour through Italy, an. MDCCCII, Rev. John Chetwode Eustace (1762-1815), printed in 1815
- A Historical, Political and Moral Essay On Revolutions: Ancient and Modern, by F.A. de Chateaubriand, 1815
- Lord Byron and some of his contemporaries; with Recollections of the author's life, and of his visit to Italy, Leigh Hunt (1784-1859), printed in 1824
- The idler in Italy, Marguerite, The Countess of Blessington (1789-1849), printed in 1839
- Rambles in Germany and Italy in 1840, 1842, and 1843, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (1797-1851), printed in 1844
- Pictures from Italy, Charles Dickens (1812-1870), vignette illustrations on wood by Samuel Palmer, printed in 1846
- Cities of northern and central Italy, Augustus J. C. Hare (1834-1903), printed in 1876
- Passages from the French and Italian note-books of Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864), printed in 1899
- Italian journeys, W.D. Howells (1837-1920); with illustrations by Joseph Pennell, printed in 1901
- With Shelley in Italy; being a selection of the poems and letters of Percy Bysshe Shelley which have to do with his life in Italy from 1818 to 1822, Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822), reprinted in 1905
- Observations and Reflections: made in the course of a journey through France, Italy, and Germany, by Hester Lynch Piozzi (1741-1821),reprinted in 1967
- Love and war in the Apennines, Eric Newby, 2008
- "Life Through Stained Glass," Brett McCarty, Jottings, Vol. IV, 2008-2009
- The Vatican; its history--its treasures, Ernesto Begni, 1914
- Italian Journeys, W. D. Howells (1837-1920), with illustrations by Joseph Pennell, printed in 1901, General
- Boswell on the Grand Tour: Italy, Corsica, and France, 1765-1766, James Boswell (1740-795), reprinted in 1955, General
- Complete works: essays, travel journal, letters, Michel de Montaigne, translated by Donald M. Frame, 1957, General
- The New Century Italian Renaissance encyclopedia, edited by Catherine B. Avery, printed in 1972, Reference
- American Notes and Pictures from Italy, Charles Dickens (1812-1870); with twelve illustrations by Marcus Stone, Samuel Palmer and Clarkson Stanfield, reprinted in 1974, General
- Sicilian Carousel, Lawrence Durrell, 1977, General
- Italian Hours, Henry James (1843-1916), reprinted in 1979, General
- A Concise encyclopaedia of the Italian Renaissance edited by J.R. Hale, printed in 1981, Reference
- Guide to Baroque Rome, Anthony Blunt, printed in 1982, Reference
- Dictionary of modern Italian history, Frank J. Coppa, editor-in-chief, printed in 1985, Reference
- A visit to Germany, Italy, and Malta, 1840-1841: A poet's bazaar I-II, Hans Christian Andersen (1805-1875), reprinted in 1985, General
- The path to Rome, Hilaire Belloc, reprinted in 1987, General Collection
- Italian Journey, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832), reprinted in 1989, General
- Sketches of Etruscan Places and Other Italian Essays, D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930); edited by Simonetta de Filippis, reprinted in 1992, General
- Sea and Sardinia, D.H. Lawrence; edited by Mara Kalnins, reprinted in 1997, General
- Bella Tuscany: the Sweet life in Italy, Frances Mayes, printed in 1999, General
- Italy: the rough guide, written and researched by Ros Belford, Martin Dunford and Celia Woolfrey, printed in 1999, Reference
- Italian Reports on America, 1493-1522: letters, dispatches, and papal bulls, Geoffrey Symcox, editor, printed in 2001, Reference
- Roman Holidays: American writers and artists in nineteenth-century Italy, editors Robert K. Martin and Leland S. Person, printed in 2002, General
- Italy and the Grand Tour, Jeremy Black, printed in 2003, General
- Medieval Italy: an encyclopedia, Christopher Kleinhenz, editor, printed in 2004, Reference
- Italy: a reference guide from the Renaissance to the present, Roland Sarti, printed in 2004, Reference
- Italy Illuminated, Biondo Flavio (1392-1463); edited and translated by Jeffrey A. White, reprinted in 2005, General
- Italy, main contributors, Ros Belford ... [et. al.], printed in 2006, Reference
- Coryate's crudities: hastily gobled up in five months travels in France, Savoy, Italy, Rhetia commonly called the Grisons country, Helvetia alias Switzerland, some parts of high Germany and the Netherlands ; newly digested in the hungry ae of Odcombe in the county of Somerset, and now dispersed to the nourishment of the travelling members of this kingdome Thomas Coryate, 1905, Microfiche
- World History in Context, Online resource
- Cambridge Histories Online, Online resource
- Encyclopedia of Religion, Online resource
- British Periodicals, Online resource
- International Medieval Bibliography, Online resource
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online, Online resource
- Early English Books Online (EEBO), Online resource
- International Studies Compendium, Online resource
- Sage Reference, Online resource
- Travels of Robert Tucker digital collection at the Digital Collections Center; after logging in with your Furman username and password, search "Italy."
- Map of Robert Tucker's travels to Italy, Turkey, and Greece, 1977 at the Digital Collections Center; locations shown (in Italy) include: Naples, Italy and Pompeii, Italy
- Map of Robert Tucker's travels to southern Europe, 1977 at the Digital Collections Center; locations (in Italy) include: Pompeii, Italy and Tivoli, Italy
- Italy Maps, historical and contemporary Italian maps from the Perry-Castaņeda Library Map Collection at the University of Texas at Austin.
- David Rumsey Map Collection, historical maps of Italy from the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- The Guardian, British newspaper's web page for contemporary travel writing on Italy.