Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
I. Manuscript and Archival
II. Books and Published
III. Reference and Other Materials
IV. Online Resources at Furman
V. Web Sites
- The Thomas Carlisle Herbert Collection: a great-grandson of James C. Furman, Herbert served in France as a lietenant in World War I. His collection contains postcards and other correspondence from France, as well as several travel and war-related maps of the country, and photographs of the military cemetery in France in which Herbert is buried.
- The Talmadge Gerrald Family Papers: contains correspondence between Gerrald, his mother, and his sisters from 1916-1918, during which time Gerrald served in the American Expeditionary Forces in France.
- The Marjorie Barr O'Steen Family Collection: from June to July of 1959 O'Steen took a trip to Europe where she visited England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Switzerland, Italy, and France; the collection contains correspondence and memorabilia from those travels.
- The John L. Plyer, Jr. Postcard Collection: contains postcards from Paris, the French Riviera, and various other locations within France.
- Diane Hopkins-Hughs Collection: contains National Geographic magazines from 1965 through 1969 describing various aspects of French politics, culture, and geography.
- The Max Heller Collection: Heller's time on the South Carolina State Development Board, from 1980-1983, involved several trips to France. The collection contains photographs, correpondence, and business cards exchanged by Heller and various French business interests.
- The World Coin Collection: contains French coins dating from 1848 and 1936.
- A sentimental journey through France & Italy: with selections from the journals, sermons & correspondence of Laurence Sterne, Laurence Sterne (1713-1768), edited with an introduction by Wilbur L. Cross, 1942
- Observations and reflections : made in the course of a journey through France, Italy, and Germany, by Hester Lynch Piozzi (1741-1821); edited by Herbert Barrows, 1967
- Travels during the years 1787, 1788, and 1789: undertaken more particularly with a view of ascertaining the cultivation, wealth, resources, and national prosperity of the kingdom of France, Arthur Young, 1792
- Arthur Young's travels in France during the years 1787, 1788, 1789, Arthur Young, Ed., with introduction, biographical sketch and notes by Miss Betham-Edwards, 1913
- Travels in France during the years 1787, 1788 & 1789, Arthur Young, 1929
- A residence in France, during the years 1792, 1793, 1794, and 1795: described in a series of letters from an English lady: with general and incidental remarks on the French character and manners, Charlotte Biggs, prepared for the press by John Gifford, 1798
- Paris and the Parisians in 1835, Frances Trollope, 1836
- Mentone, Cairo and Corfu, Constance Fenimore Woolson, 1896
- Passages from the French and Italian note-books of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1899
- Scènes de voyages de Victor Hugo, Victor Hugo (1802-1885), edited with introduction and notes by Thomas Bertrand Bronson, 1899
- Le pays de France, Pierre Foncin; edited for school use by Antoine Muzzarelli, 1902
- An inland voyage; Travels with a donkey in the Cevennes; Underwoods; A child's garden of verses, Robert Louis Stevenson, 1904
- A little tour in France, by Henry James, 1907
- French traits: an essay in comparative criticism, W. C. Brownell, 1925
- Frogmen: the true story of my journeys with Captain Jacques-Yves Cousteau and the crew of Calypso, Richard E. Hyman, 2011
- Americans in Paris, 1860-1900, Kathleen Adler, Erica E. Hirshler, H. Barbara Weinberg ; with contributions from David Park Curry, Rodolphe Rapetti and Christopher Riopelle and with the assistance of Megan Holloway Fort and Kathleen Mrachek, 2006
- "Going on Holiday to Imagine War: The Western Front Battlefields as Sites of Commemoration and Contestation," Jennifer Iles, 2010. In Great Expectations: Imagination and Anticipation in Tourism, edited by Jonathan Skinner and Dimitros Theodossopoulos, 2011
- Diary of the cavaliere Bernini's visit to France, Paul Fréart de Chantelou; edited, and with an introduction, by Anthony Blunt; annotated by George C. Bauer; translated by Margery Corbett, 1985, General Collection
- A full relation of two journeys, the one into the main-land of France, the other into some of the adjacent ilands: performed and digested into six books, Peter Heylyn, 1656, Electronic Resource
- A survey of the estate of France, and of some of the adjoyning ilands: taken in the description of the principal cities, and chief provinces, with the temper, humor, and affections of the people generally, and an exact accompt of the publick government in reference to the court, the church, and the civill state, by Peter Heylyn ; pbulished according to the authors own copy, and with his content for preventing of all faith, imperfect, and surreptitious impressions of it, Peter Heylyn, 1656, Electronic Resource
- The voyage of France, or, A compleat journey through France: with the character of the people, and the description of the chief towns, fortresses, churches, monasteries, universities, pallaces and antiquities : as also of the interest, government, riches, &c. , P.H. [Peter Heylyn], D.D, 1673, Electronic Resource
- Locke's travels in France, John Locke, [edited by] John Lough, 1984, General Collection
- Galliæ notitia, or, The present state of France: containing a general description of that kingdom : translated from the last edition of the French : enriched with additional observations and remarks of the new compiler, and digested into a method conformable to that of The present state of England, R.W., M.A, 1691, Electronic Resource
- An account of Corsica, the journal of a tour to that island; and memoirs of Pascal Paoli, James Boswell (1740-1795); edited with introduction and notes by James T. Boulton and T.O. McLoughlin, 2006, General Collection
- Boswell on the grand tour: Italy, Corsica, and France, 1765-1766, James Boswell; edited by Frank Brady and Frederick A. Pottle, 1954, General Collection
- Travels through France and Italy: Containing observations on character, customs, religion, government, police, commerce, arts, and antiquities. With a particular description of the town, territory, and climate of Nice: to which is added, register of the weather, kept during a residence of eighteen months in that city , T. Smollett, M.D.., 1766, Microform
- Letter-book of Mary Stead Pinckney, November 14th, 1796 to August 29th, 1797, Mary Stead Pinckney, with an introd. by Donald Mugridge, edited by Charles F. McCombs, 1946, General Collection
- Thomas Jefferson travels : collected travel writing, 1784-1826, edited by Anthony Brandt, 2006, General Collection
- The diaries of Gouverneur Morris : European travels, 1794-1798, Melanie Randolph Miller, editor; Hendrina Krol, associate editor; Elizabeth Hines, editorial assistant, 2011, General Collection
- Gleanings in Europe, James Fenimore Cooper (1789-1851); edited by Robert E. Spiller, 1928, General Collection
- The practical tourist; or, Sketches of the state of the useful arts, and of society, scenery, &c. &c. in Great-Britain, France, and Holland, Zachariah Allen (1795-1882), 1972, General Collection
- The Ruskins in Normandy: a tour in 1848 with Murray's handbook, J. G. Links, 1968, General Collection
- Neighbors henceforth, Owen Wister, 1922, General Collection
- Travels with a donkey in the Cevennes, by Robert Louis Stevenson; with a preface by Mrs. Stevenson, 1907, General Collection
- Versailles : strolling through the estate, Gerald van der Kemp, Daniel Meyer ; translation: Bronia Fuchs, 1983
- At home in France : tales of an American and her house abroad, Ann Berry; 1997, General Collection
- The Times atlas of European history, editorial direction: Thomas Cussans ... [et al.]; maps prepared by Bartholomew, Edinburgh, 1994, Reference Collection
- Historical dictionary of France from the 1815 restoration to the Second Empire, edited by Edgar Leon Newman; Robert Lawrence Simpson, assistant editor, 1987, Reference Collection
- Historical dictionary of Napoleonic France, 1799-1815, edited by Owen Connelly; Harold T. Parker, Peter W. Becker, and June K. Burton, associate editors; Janice Seaman Berbin, editorial assistant, 1985, Reference Collection
- France, 1789-1962, James J. Cooke, 1975, Reference Collection
- La France, géographie illustrée, 1911, Reference Collection
- Early English Books Online (EEBO), Online resource
- The Times of London, Online resource
- British Periodicals, Online resource
- World History in Context, Online resource
- Cambridge Histories Online, Online resource
- Oxford Scholarship Online, Online resource
- Gale Literature Resource Center, Online resource
- International Studies Compendium, Online resource
- Europa World Plus, Online resource
- Sage Reference, Online resource
- International Medieval Bibliography, Online resource
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online, Online resource
- The ARTFL Project, Online resource
- Six Weeks in Corsica, free, full-text ebook of William Cowen's 1848 travelogue of Corsica.
- The Guardian, United Kingdom newspaper, source of contemporary articles on travel writing in France.
- Archives nationales, homepage of the French National Archives (French language only).
- Bibliotheque Nationale de France, homepage of French National Library, including online exhibitions and photograph collections.
- Travel at the Turn of the 20th Century (1875-1908), University of Texas Libraries' extensive compilation of travel literature from 1875-1908, all in free e-book form.