frontispiece of Edwards's West Indies
Bryan Edwards, 1794
Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
I. Manuscript and Archival
II. Books and Published
IV. Online Resources at Furman
V. Web Sites
- John L. Plyer, Jr. Postcard Collection: contains 4 postcards from Cuba.
- Diane Hopkins-Hughs Collection: contains a National Geographic magazine from 1991 which features Cuba.
- The history, civil and commercial, of the British colonies in the West Indies: in two volumes, Bryan Edwards, 1794
- Travels in North America during the years 1834, 1835 & 1836, including a summer residence with the Pawnee tribe of Indians in the remote prairies of the Missouri and a visit to Cuba and the Azore Islands, Sir Charles Augustus Murray, 1839
- Letters of a Traveller: or, Notes of things seen in Europe and America, William Cullen Bryant, 1850
- The homes of the New world: impressions of America, Fredrika Bremer; translated by Mary Howitt, 1853
- Rachel and the New World: A Trip to the United States and Cuba, Leon Beauvallet, 1856
- Cuba: Past and Present, Richard Davey, 1898
- Our New Possessions: A Graphic Account, Descriptive and Historical, of the Tropic Islands of the Sea which have fallen under our sway, their cities, peoples, and commerce, natural resources and the opportunities they offer to Americans, Trumbull White, 1898 [the Philippine Islands, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Hawaiian Islands]
- "Displeasure on 'Pleasure Island': Tourist Expectation and Desire on and off the Cuban Dance Floor," Jonathan Skinner, 2009. In Great Expectations: Imagination and Anticipation in Tourism, edited by Jonathan Skinner and Dimitros Theodossopoulos, 2011.
- To Cuba and Back, Richard Henry Dana, edited and with an introduction by C. Harvey Gardiner, (reprinted in 1966)
- South and North; or, Impressions received during a trip to Cuba and the South, John S. C. Abbott, (John Stevens Cabot), (reprinted in 1969)
- Ensayo político sobre la isla de Cuba, Alexander von Humboldt, 1827
- Four French travelers in nineteenth-century Cuba, Yvon Joseph
- New year in Cuba: Mary Gardner Lowell's travel diary, 1831-1832, ed. with an introduction by Karen Robert
- La ciudad de las columnas, texto [por] Alejo Carpentie, fotos [por] Paolo Gasparini, 1970
- Havana journal, Andrew Salkey, 1971
- In Cuba, Ernesto Cardenal, translated by Donald D. Walsh, 1974
- With Fidel: a portrait of Castro and Cuba>, Frank Mankiewicz & Kirby Jones, 1975
- Trading with the enemy: a Yankee travels through Castro's Cuba, Tom Miller, 1996
- Impressions of Cuba in the nineteenth century: the travel diary of Joseph J. Dimock, edited by Louis A. Pérez
- The visit of His Holiness Pope John Paul II to Cuba: an assessment of its impact on religious freedom in Cuba: hearing before the Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere of the Committee on International Relations, House of Representatives, One Hundred Fifth Congress, second session, March 4, 1998
- Cuba, Andrew Coe; photography by Rolando Pujol, 1999
- Ay, Cuba! : a socio-erotic journey, Andrei Codrescu; photographs by David Graham, 1999
- Cuba: going back, Tony Mendoza, 1999
- Real life in Castro's Cuba [electronic resource], Catherine Moses, 2000
- Robert Jackson Alexander papers, 1890 (1945) - 1999 [microform]: the interview collection, ed. by John D. French
- Cuba diaries: an American housewife in Havana, Isadora Tattlin, 2002
- Cuba on the verge: an island in transition, ed. by Terry McCoy; introduction by William Kennedy, 2003
- Last dance in Havana: the final days of Fidel and the start of the new Cuban Revolution, Eugene Robinson, 2004
- Dancing with Cuba: a memoir of the revolution, Alma Guillermoprieto; translated from the Spanish by Esther Allen, 2004
- La Habana en un espejo, Alma Guillermoprieto, 2004
- The history of Havana, Dick Cluster and Rafael Hernández, 2006
- The boys from Dolores: Fidel Castro's schoolmates from revolution to exile, Patrick Symmes, 2007
- Havana: autobiography of a city, Alfredo Jose Estrada, 2007
- Tratado verdadero del viaje y navegación, Fray Antonio Vázquez de Espinosa; edició crítica por Sara L. Lehman, 2008
- To change the world: my years in Cuba, Margaret Randall, 2009
- Encyclopedia of Western Colonialism Since 1450, Online resource
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture, Online resource
- Oxford Encyclopedia of African Thought, Online resource
- Oxford Scholarship Online, Online resource
- American Periodicals, Online resource
- British Periodicals, Online resource
- Sage Reference, Online resource
- Cambridge Histories Online, Online resource
- International Studies Compendium, Online resource
- Europa World Plus, Online resource
- ACLS Humanities Ebook, Online resource
- Imperial Eyes: Travel Writing and Transculturation [electronic resource; Ebook], Mary Louise Pratt, 1992
- Historical Maps of Cuba, from the University of Alabama's historical maps collection.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, historical and contemporary maps of Cuba, from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Historic Maps of Cuba, from Texas A & M's digital repository.
- Cuban Heritage Collection, from the University of Miami Libraries, including digital collections and online exhibits on Cuban history and culture.
- Digital Library of the Caribbean, "a cooperative digital library for resources from and about the Caribbean and circum-Caribbean."
- Latin American Travelogues, a "digital collection of Latin American travel accounts written in the 16th-19th centuries" from the Brown University Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
- Early American Images, online collection of images from early South and North America hosted by the Brown University library.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, Colonial Latin America, internet compilation page of resources on colonial Latin American History.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, 19th century Latin America, internet compilation page of resources on 19th century Latin American history.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, 20th century Latin America, internet compilation page of resources on 20th century Latin American history.
- BBC Archive: Cuba and the Cold War, BBC online exhibition, "from Castro's rise to power to the Cuban Missile Crisis."
- The Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962, online exhibition from the National Security Archive at George Washington University.