from A Hand-book to the Marsupialia and Monotremata
Richard Lydekker, 1894
Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
I. Manuscript and Archival
II. Books and Published
III. Reference and Other Materials
IV. Online Resources at Furman
V. Web Sites
- The Poteat Family Papers: contains Kagawa in Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii, a publication on the activities of the Japanese Christian reformer Toyohiko Kagawa's activities in Australia, New Zealand, and Hawaii ca. the 1930s.
- Diane Hopkins-Hughs Collection: contains National Geographic magazines from 1967 through 1984 describing various aspects of Australian culture and geography.
- Seven years of my life; or, Narrative of a patriot exile. Who together with eighty-two American citizens were illegally tried for rebellion in Upper Canada in 1838, and transported to Van Dieman's land, comprising a true account of our outrageous treatment ... with a concise account of the island; its inhabitants, productions, etc., etc. By Robert Marsh, Robert Marsh, 1848
- Australia and New Zealand, Anthony Trollope, 1873, Microform
- Nineteenth-century travels, explorations, and empires : writings from the era of imperial consolidation, 1835-1910, general editor, Peter J. Kitson, v. 6 South Seas and Australasia, 2003-2004
- Literature of travel and exploration : an encyclopedia, Jennifer Speake, editor, 2003
- Women writing home, 1700-1920 : female correspondence across the British Empire, general editor, Klaus Stierstorfer, 2006
- The journals, James Cook; prepared from the original manuscripts by J.C. Beaglehole for the Hakluyt Society, 1955-67; selected and edited by Philip Edwards, 2003, General Collection
- New Zealand letters of Thomas Arnold the younger with further letters from Van Diemen's Land and letters of Arthur Hugh Clough, 1847-1851, Edited by James Bertram, 1966, General Collection
- Australia, New Zealand and some islands of the South seas; Australia, New Zealand, Thursday island, the Samoas, New Guinea, the Fijis, and the Tongas, Frank G. Carpenter, 1970, General Collection
- Dead reckoning : great adventure writing from the golden age of exploration, 1800-1900, edited by Helen Whybrow, 2003, General Collection
- An anthology of women's travel writings, edited with notes and an introduction by Shirley Foster and Sara Mills, 2002, General Collection
- In a sunburned country, Bill Bryson, 2000, General Collection
- Explorations and encounters in French, edited by Jean Fornasiero and Colette Mrowa-Hopkins, 2010, General Collection
- The fatal impact; an account of the invasion of the South Pacific, 1767-1840, Alan Moorehead, 1966, General Collection
- The emigrants; early travellers to the antipodes, Hector Bolitho and John Mulgan, 1970, General Collection
- The art of Captain Cook's voyages, Rüdiger Joppien and Bernard Smith, 1985, General Collection
- The exploration of New Zealand, W.G. McClymont, 1986, General Collection
- Early Victorian New Zealand : a study of racial tension and social attitudes, 1839-1852, John Miller, 1986, General Collection
- Two worlds : first meetings between Maori and Europeans, 1642-1772, Anne Salmond, 1991, General Collection
- Cannibal talk : the man-eating myth and human sacrifice in the South Seas, Gananath Obeyesekere, 2005, General Collection
- Sea of dangers : Captain Cook and his rivals in the South Pacific, Geoffrey Blainey, 2009, General Collection
- A narrative of the expedition to Botany Bay: with an account of New South Wales, its productions, inhabitants, &c. To which is subjoined, a list of the civil and military establishments at Port Jackson. By Captain Watkin Tench, Of The Marines, Watkin Tench, 1789, Electronic Resource
- Abundant Beauty: The Adventurous Travels of Marianne North, Botanical Artist, Marianne North, 2010, Electronic Resource
- The encyclopedia of religion in Australia, edited by James Jupp, 2009, Reference Collection
- The Oxford companion to Australian film, edited by Brian McFarlane, Geoff Mayer, Ina Bertrand, 1999, Reference Collection
- New Zealand: the rough guide, written and researched by Laura Harper, Tony Mudd & Paul Whitfield, 1998, Reference Collection
- The Oxford companion to New Zealand literature, edited by Roger Robinson, Nelson Wattie, 1998, Reference Collection
- Post-colonial literatures in English: Southeast Asia, New Zealand, and the Pacific, 1970-1992, Mark Williams, 1996, Reference Collection
- The Cambridge encyclopedia of Australia, editor, Susan Bambrick, 1994, Reference Collection
- Undergraduate study in Australia and New Zealand, Butler University, 1993, Reference Collection
- The Oxford companion to Australian folklore, edited by Gwenda Beed Davey and Graham Seal, 1993, Reference Collection
- The Australian national dictionary: a dictionary of Australianisms on historical principles, edited by W.S. Ramson, 1988, Reference Collection
- Collins Australian encyclopedia, edited by John Shaw, 1984, Reference Collection
- Australian dictionary of biography, 1788-1939, Reference Collection
- Encyclopedia of Western Colonialism Since 1450, Online resource
- International Studies Compendium, Online resource
- Sage Reference, Online resource
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online, Online resource
- Times of London, Online resource
- Encyclopedia of Religion, Online resource
- British Periodicals, Online resource
- World History in Context, Online resource
- Cambridge Histories Online, Online resource
- ACLS Humanities Ebook, Online resource
- Europa World Plus, Online resource
- The friend of Australia: or, a plan for exploring the interior and for carrying on a survey of the whole continent of Australia, by A Retired Officer of the Hon. East India Company's Service, 1836. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Journals of expeditions of discovery into central Australia, and overland from Adelaide to King George's Sound, in the years 1840-1, by Edward John Eyre, 1842. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Recollections of bush life in Australia, during a residence of eight years in the interior, by Henry William Haygarth, 1848. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- A boy's adventures in the wilds of Australia: or, Herbert's note-book, by William Howitt, 1855. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Recollections of bush life in Australia: during a residence of eight years in the interior, by Henry William Haygarth, 1861. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Through and through the tropics: thirty thousand miles of travel in Oceanica, Australasia, and India, by Frank Vincent, 1876. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Under the Southern Cross: or, Travels in Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, Samoa, and other Pacific islands, by Maturin Murray Ballou, 1888. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Islands of the southern seas: Hawaii, Samoa, New Zealand, Tasmania, Australia, and Java, by Michael Myers Shoemaker, 1898. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- The dead heart of Australia: A journey around Lake Eyre in the summer of 1901-1902, with some account of the Lake Eyre basin and the flowing wells of central Australia, by John Walter Gregory, 1906. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Australian byways: the narrative of a sentimental traveler, by Norman Duncan, 1915. Free, full-text ebook from Google Books.
- Australia and New Zealand, by William D. Boyce, 1922. Free, full-text ebook of a piece of early 20th century travel literature.
- International Perspectives of Public Education in New Zealand, course blog for a 2012 Furman May X study abroad class.
- National Archives of Australia, Collections include information about immigration, indigenous Australians, and transport to Australia, among other subjects.
- National Archives of New Zealand, Homepage for the archives' collections, as well as several online exhibitions.
- Fordham University Modern History Sourcebook, online transcriptions of historical documents from Australia and New Zealand.
- The Cabinet Papers, British National Archives' Cabinet Papers homepage on empire, commonwealth, and de-colonization in Australia and New Zealand, 1915-1981.
- Australian Festival of Travel Writing, homepage for the yearly festival, including program information and bios of featured speakers.
- Hakluyt Society, Publishers of historical travel accounts.