Stained glass window

Home > Manuscript Collection > Greenville > The Ware Family Collection

The Ware Family Collection
Red text is clickable and links to appropriate webpages

Title: The Ware Family Collection
Creator: The Ware Family
Biography
Provenance: The Ware Family Collection was donated by Gladys N. Hilley on July 27, 2006.
Extent: 4.5 linear ft (5 boxes)
Date Range: 1784-1967
Languages: English
Restrictions: None
Abstract: The Ware Family Collection is arranged chronologically and primarily represents Thomas Edwin Ware’s business interests in the 19th century. The collection includes land grants, deeds, receipts, estate documents, and letters. The land deeds and grants are from a variety of people including Thomas Edwin Ware (1806 - 1873) and his son, Thomas E. "Salt" Ware (1849 - 1904); Thomas Pinckney and several others. Some of these documents are signed with an "X." The earliest land papers date from the 1780s, and the latest items are from the mid-20th century. The collection houses an oath of allegiance to the United States that Thomas Edwin Ware signed on 14 August 1865, just after the Civil War ended. From the same period, there is a labor agreement signed by Ware and thirteen freedmen and women on 1 January 1866 by which the laborers agreed to work for the term of one year on Ware’s Redy [Reedy] River plantation in exchange for “one half of all gross Crops produced on said place.”

The documents dated after 1873 mainly represent Thomas E. "Salt" Ware, and his business interests with the Ware & Pickle company. This collection also contains a family history entitled "Our Family," written by Bobby and Gail Ware in 1967, as well as a CD with several digitized documents from the Ware family, including the post-Civil War Pledge to the United States and tuition statements for Furman University.

Scope and Content: Box 1: 1784-1856; Box 2: 1857-1888; Box 3: 1889-1957; dates unknown; fragments; and “Old Country Roads”; Box 4: OVERSIZE; Box 5: OVERSIZE
Collection Inventory
Location: Manuscript Collection; selections available online through the Digital Collections Center.
Accession #: 2006-035