Stained glass window

Home > Furman University Resources

Furman University Resources
I. Furman University History - (General, People, Places, Events)


  • Furman University Materials: Guide to Furman-related manuscripts, books and published materials, and websites
  • Furman University Memorabilia: Inventory and guide to Furman University and Greenville Woman's College memorabilia, including school spirit materials, clothing, jewelry, and sports items.
  • Furman University Chronology
  • Furmaniana: A collection of secondary sources consisting of newspapers, periodicals and other types of articles that relate to important Furman subjects. This can include individuals, events, policies and organizations that pertain to the University.
  • Historical Records of Furman University, 1826-1958: The official records of the University; they are classified as Record Group 45 (RG 45) which includes subgroups for all previous campuses.
  • Furman Trustees Minutes 1825 to 1949: Minutes from the regular meetings of Furman University's Board of Trustees from 1825 to 1949 are online in the Digital Collections Center and the originals are available in Special Collections (digital collection is only available with a Furman network login).
  • "Traditions: Lost and Found" - A photographic exploration of Furman's past, present, and future traditions
  • Images: This category includes photographs, negatives, slides, and postcards
  • Scrapbooks




  • Furman Personnel Manuscript Collections: Collections of papers and historic materials from members of the Furman community including students, alumni, faculty, staff, and key leaders of the University

The South Carolina Baptist Convention established the Greenville Baptist Female College in 1854 in Greenville. The school was incorporated as a separate institution in 1908 under the name Greenville Female College, which was changed to Greenville Woman's College (GWC) in 1912. Due to financial difficulties brought about by the Depression, the GWC trustees asked Furman University to take over the management of the school in 1932. The first coordinated activity was a joint commencement in June of that year. The next fall, 70 women began attending classes on the menís campus, with specially chartered taxi cabs providing rides between the campuses. By March of 1933 the Womanís College trustees asked Furman to assume full control, with one board and one president of both institutions. The South Carolina Baptist Convention formally approved the total merger of the Greenville Womanís College and Furman University in 1937. The student bodies remained separate until 1961 when Furman moved to the new campus north of Greenville.