Stained glass window

The History of Founders' Day

Foundersí Day was first observed on December 5, 1920 in remembrance of Dr. James C. Furman (first President of Furman University and son of Richard Furman 1755-1825) who was born on December 5, 1809.

In 1924, Foundersí Day was then moved to October 9 in remembrance of the birthday of Furman University's namesake, Richard Furman (1755-1825). The observance was moved again in 1928 to the month of January and remained there for many years.

In the spring of 1990 Founderís Day began to be observed as part of Foundersí Week which was in the spring towards the end of the semester.

The first Founders Day Convocation was held on January 11, 1954, in honor of Dr. John L. Plyler's completion of fifteen years as President 1938-1953. The program was held on the Greenville Woman's College campus in the David M. Ramsay Fine Arts Building.

The second Founders' Day Convocation was held on January 14, 1976 in observance of the 150th anniversary of Furman's founding (1816-1976).