Please call us at (864) 294-2194 or e-mail Special Collections to schedule a visit. We are a small department and we want to insure that we have staff and materials available to meet your needs. Plus it will save you time!
Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
- South Carolina Baptist Biographies: Secondary materials such as newspaper and magazine articles concerning Baptist individuals and events
- South Carolina Baptist Church Files: Miscellaneous materials such as newspaper articles, programs, church histories, on a variety of churches, stored in vertical files.
Some files include a photocopy of the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) Historical Records Survey of Church Records (also known as the Inventory of Church Archives) completed between 1937-1939. The questionnaires provided the means by which information was systematically gathered on African-American and white churches in both rural and urban areas, including address, date organized, building description, construction date, and, of primary importance, listings of any known church records. The original survey sheets are held in the Manuscripts Division of the South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbia, and are available online here.
- Materials towards a history of the Baptists in the provinces of Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia has been digitized as part of the South Carolina Digital Library. Please click on Visit: View Collection Homepage to view the entire volume. Morgan Edwards (1722-1795) wrote this original manuscript during his travels among the Baptists.
- Baptist Encyclopedia, ed. William Cathcart, 1881?, Inscribed by James C. Furman
- Encyclopedia of Southern Baptists [1958-1982]
- South Carolina, state of Southern Baptist beginnings, South Carolina Baptist Historical Society, 1958
- A History of the Baptists, Robert G. Torbett, 1965
- "Hitherto ... henceforth" : an historical skit in celebration of the sesquicentennial of South Carolina Baptists" James M. Pitts, 1970
- Baptists of early America: a statistical history, 1639-1790, Robert G. Gardner, 1983
- International directory of Baptist archives/libraries, Lynn E. May, Jr., compiler/editor, 1990
- Historical Dictionary of the Baptists, William H. Brackney, 2009
- Baptist Theology: a Four-Century Study, James Leo Garrett, 2009
- William Owen Carver's controversies in the Baptist South, Mark R. Wilson, 2010
- Published Church Histories - Catalog Search - Subject Heading “Church History”. The resulting subject heading list will include additional subject headings.
- A history of South Carolina Baptists, by Joe M. King. Incorporating in part works by Leah Townsend and W. J. McGlothlin (1964). Click on the title to access the Historical table of S.C. Baptist churches and associations from the book.
- Books on Microfilm (website)
- Manuscripts on Microfilm (website)
- Proceedings of the triennial meetings of the Baptist general convention, 1814-1846 : and annual report of the board of managers, 1814-1846 . Baptist General Convention for Foreign Missions (U.S.)
- Minutes of the Board of Foreign Missions of the General Missionary Convention beginning May 18, 1814, ending April 19, 1820 : [and] Records of the Foreign missions managers of the Baptist General Convention, September 24, 1845 .
- A History of South Carolina Baptists by Joe M. King, Online resource
- Encyclopedia of Religion, Online resource
- The Religion in North Carolina Digital Collection, Online resource