Please call us at (864) 294-2194 or e-mail Special Collections to schedule a visit. We are a small department and we want to insure that we have staff and materials available to meet your needs. Plus it will save you time!
Please note that items in bold are described in the Library's online catalog and you will need to review the catalog to obtain the call number of each item. Other items are described in guides in Special Collections and Archives.
- South Carolina Baptist Church Files: Miscellaneous secondary materials on a variety of churches, stored in vertical files.
- History of the first African Baptist Church, from its organization, January 10th, 1788, to July 1st, 1888 : Including the centennial celebration, addresses, sermons, etc., by Rev. E.K. Love, 1888
- Sermons, addresses, and reminiscences, and important correspondence, by E. C. Morris, 1980
- Black Baptist women of South Carolina, 1888-1983, a special project of the Woman's Baptist Educational and Missionary Convention of South Carolina, 1983
- A history of Black Baptists, by Leroy Fitts, 1985
- Pre-1900 statistical table of S.C. Black Baptist churches, compiled by John A. Middleton, 1992
- The historical Silver Bluff Missionary Baptist Church : established 1750 : 251st anniversary celebration, Sunday, August 5, 2001, 2:30 p.m [Aiken County, S.C.], 2001?
- The history of John Wesley United Methodist Church, compiled and researched by Fred W. Bostic, 2006
- New Light Beulah Baptist Church, the beacon light in the midst of the lower Richland community : Lower Richland's oldest Black Baptist church, vol. 1 & 2, by John Allen Middleton, c2011
- First Calvary and forgotten turns of events, by John Allen Middleton, c2011
- Red Hill Baptist Church - traveling on to glory, by John Allen Middleton, c2011
- African-American Baptist Annual Reports, 1865-1900. South Carolina.
- Rocky River Baptist Association, Anderson County, 1908.
- Camden First Baptist Church, Kershaw County, established 1810. 1810-1838, minutes, with register of Negro members, 1810-1835. 1869-1902, minutes and register; 1837-1936, misc. church papers.
- Old Pilgrim Baptist Church, Greenville County, established 1864. 1904-1926, 1930-1934, 1948-1952, WMU Minutes April 1977, 1980-2003, Treasurers' Reports 1896-1972 (scattered), Historical Highlights 1828, 1904-1923.
Greenville Cultural Exchange Center-African-American history museum and culture center dedicated to the preservation of African-American history in the Greenville area
South Caroliniana Library, Columbia, S.C. - Catalog search for "African American Baptists -- South Carolina."
American Baptist Historical Society - Founded in 1853, cares for the largest and most diverse collection of Baptist materials in the world. Included is the largest collection of African American Baptist church records from the 19th and early 20th century, including records of institutions founded by Baptists of all varieties.