The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary was the first seminary founded by the Southern Baptist Convention. It started in October 1859 in Greenville, South Carolina under the guidance of James Pettigru Boyce, John A. Broadus, Basil Manly, Jr., and William Williams. Unfortunately, the institution closed during the Civil War. Much of the money that was used to operate the school was in Confederate Bonds, and the school had very little funds to reopen. The Seminary did reopen, however, in October 1865 and remained in Greenville until 1877.
Having struggled in South Carolina after the war, the Seminary secured funds for a new location and moved to Louisville, Kentucky in September 1877. Boyce, Chairman of the Faculty from 1859-1877, became the institutionís first president in 1888. SBTS now has an undergraduate college as well as three Graduate Schools. The Southern Baptist Convention continues to support the Seminary financially and elects its Board of Trustees.