Furman’s move from historical downtown Greenville to the foothills of Paris Mountain resulted in complete support from the community. Those who resided in Greenville in the 1950’s also experienced the vast population growth succeeding the war. The greatest concern of the public existed not on the funding of the construction, nor the population growth in the community, but the concern for upholding Furman tradition in the midst of a new location.
A November 11, 1958 Greenville News paper states, “Left behind after the move to the New Campus this fall will be traditions, customs and memories which cannot make the transition from old to new. Some will perhaps linger on, others either have already faded or will pass with time in the modern new setting.” Among many of the traditions that the community hoped would prevail were the events of homecoming, May Day, pep meetings, the singing of “Brown Eyes,” and Class Day. May Day was an organized event in which a May Queen is elected and entertained by jesters and performers in an all-student production. Not only were the activities that honored Furman students highly admired, but also the architecture and classrooms of the Old College received an abundance of praise.
Some of the early day traditions had long lost out, such as the Furman boys walking on the left side of the street in order to attract attention from ladies who attended Chicora College.
Another concern regarding the move of the campus entailed the idea that Furman student should have an environment where the all work and no play adage would not likely be applicable. Due to an increase in higher caliber Furman students resulting from population growth in Greenville, the community felt as though the students needed an environment to balance all aspects of life including spiritual and social growth. Hence, a new Furman Campus along with its’ beautiful atmosphere was constructed . . . not to mention a new tradition of Beach Weekend.
Greenville News. "Some Traditions Left Behind, But Others To Survive Move To New Campus." November 11, 1958 Issue.
The Charlotte Observer. "Old Furman Buildings Still Towering at Winnsboro." August 29, 1954 Issue.