Collection Development and Acquisitions
- Requesting Materials
- All faculty members are encouraged to participate in the selection of materials to be added to the libraries' collections. Pre-printed order forms are available from the Acquisitions Department. Reviews from Choice magazine are also distributed by the Acquisitions Department, and can simply be initialed. All requests from a department are sent to the department's library representative, who prioritizes, initials and forwards the requests to the Acquisitions Department.
- Approval Plan Information
- Several departments are participating in an approval plan program. Under this plan, a "profile" is developed for each department, indicating the subject areas to be covered in the plan, as well as many non-subject parameters, such as depth of coverage, type of publisher, etc.
Each week, Blackwell North America, a large academic book jobber, ships books matching our profiles. The books are put on designated shelves in the Acquisitions Department. During the last week of each month, the departments involved are asked to send designated departmental members to review the titles. Please initial the form in each book you wish to keep. Move the books to be returned to the shelf labeled "Returns."
- Rush Requests
- Material which a faculty member needs to be purchased and processed as a "rush" order should be designated as such on the order request form. A "hold" will be placed on this order when it has arrived, and the Circulation Department will notify the faculty member that the book is ready and being held at the circulation desk. If material is already on order and is needed quickly, please call or email Linda Schinck in the Acquisitions Department. The item will be coded "rush," and the faculty member will be notified as described above.
- Gifts and Donations
- The library accepts monetary and gifts-in-kind donations. A brochure is available from the Acquisitions Department which can be sent to all potential donors listing the guidelines. In accordance with IRS regulations, no appraisal can be given. All donations are added to the collections as needed: duplicates and material not needed are sold in an annual book sale for faculty, students, and staff.
- The Collection Development Department is open 9am - 5pm, Monday through Friday
- Contact Information
Deborah Harper: 294-2380 (email@example.com)
Linda Schnick: 294-2193 (firstname.lastname@example.org)