In order to ensure a positive construction and renovation experience and to
support progress towards the successful completion of the addition and renovation
of the James B. Duke Library, the Library Transition Committee was created and
will work to achieve the following goals throughout the project:
Resources & Services
- To provide reliable and uninterrupted library services and access to
- To minimize network downtime, carefully schedule any service interruptions,
and implement appropriate back-up systems to maintain services.
- To share useful, accurate, and timely information about construction
events that affect the library with the widest appropriate audience
using a variety of communication channels.
- To implement an effective signage program for the transitional library.
- To provide opportunities for comments and suggestions for improvement
from all parts of the Furman community. We will carefully listen and
respond to these comments and suggestions.
- To create the safest and most comfortable environment possible for library
patrons and library personnel.
- To find innovative ways to manage and respond to changes in the building's
- To monitor and find opportunities to bolster and support staff morale
during this stressful transitional period.
- To implement clear plans to ensure the smooth and efficient flow of
deliveries to and from the library.
The members of the Library Transition Committee are:
- To find innovative ways to reach out and serve the Furman community
during this transition period. We will be creative in deploying our
staff, our technology, and our resources in order to better serve our
- To use humor to demonstrate a positive, flexible, and understanding
attitude as we work with each other, our library patrons, and the entire
- To focus on the future and share the vision by showcasing the building
features, new products, and "the cool, new stuff" that lies ahead.
Honorary members of the Committee include Shawn Tonner, the consultant who
got the Committee off to a good start, and Steve Long, who provides immeasurable
help when it is time to move.
- Dr. Janis Bandelin, Director of Libraries
- Julie Carter, Circulation Assistant
- Glen Clayton, Special Collections Librarian
- Mary Pat Crozier, Capital Construction Manager
- Brenda Custard, Document Delivery Assistant
- Mary Fairbairn, Instructional Services/Reference Librarian
- Ryan Lazar, Systems Assistant
- John Payne (chair), Associate Director of Libraries
- Linda Schinck, Acquisitions Assistant
- Nancy Sloan, Cataloging Librarian